Saturday, October 1, 2011

The verdict: Blackberry crumble pie

The blackberry crumble pie kicked ass.

Seriously, this recipe is a real contender. If I make a few adjustments, blackberry crumble may be the pie to win the berry category.

Overall, my taste-testers really liked it. The berries: sweet and succulent. The cinnamon-nutmeg crumb topping: crunchy, buttery deliciousness. And the crust: a flaky slice of heaven.

The highest compliment? Multiple requests for seconds.

I plan to make it again this weekend to iron out the wrinkles and practice using my new pastry cloth, which will hopefully make it easier to transfer dough to the pie plate. (And will result in fewer tears on my part.)

With this pie, I learned a valuable lesson: When adding apples to recipes to help with taste and thickening, dice or shred the apples into tiny pieces. They'll bake down and thicken the filling more.

My apple chunks didn't bake down enough. They were just too big.


Blackberry crumble pie earned 17.25 points out of 20; the highest scoring recipe so far.

Last week, I was feeling anxious about this whole thing -- this shark was about to lose her snark.

But this pie gave my spirits a much-needed boost. If I can perfect it, I'm sure to enter the contest with a killer pie and a gigantic chip on my shoulder.

Booyah.

No comments: