Monday, February 27, 2012

Practice makes perfect

I figure I've made more than 25 pies in the past 8 months. Considering the fact that I made exactly zero previously, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Or obsessive, depending on your point of view.

While I've improved significantly, I certainly have not achieved master baker status.

Yes, I said 'master baker.'

While I've got some work to do in the taste department, I've come a long way in terms of technique.

I'm proud to say I now can roll out a pastry crust and transfer it to a pie plate without having a nervous breakdown. Also, I can peel a dozen apples fairly quickly, sparing the flesh, and without having my hands cramp mid-way through. And, my pie crimping technique has come a long way.

Flaky and delicious. Practice does make perfect.

I'm trying to cram years worth of experience into 365 very short days -- which has been challenging, but finally is feeling more rewarding.

128 days. Less than 5 months.

It only can get better from here on out. (She says optimistically.)

No comments: