Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Star struck in blueberry heaven

I've made exactly two blueberry pies in my life. One was an icebox recipe last fall and the other, a more traditional blueberry pie last weekend for my husband for Father's Day.

I'm pleased to report that with just two blueberries under my belt, I've found the winning candidate for the berry category. I hit a home run with the Father's Day pie.

Honestly, I'm not a big blueberry fan. I like the occasional blueberry muffin, but typically pass on a slice of blueberry pie.

Blueberries are just OK for me.

Nothing special. Nothing worth wasting a couple hundred extra calories.

And then I saw the light.

I paired a fairly straightforward blueberry recipe with my favorite sweet pastry crust and amped up a few key ingredients -- one of which was lemon zest.
I took one bite and saw stars.
Come to mama.
This is my new favorite pie in the universe. Served chilled, it's so light, so sweet, so refreshing.

In a word: Heaven.

If this baby doesn't earn at least a medal in the bake-off, I'll eat my hat.

Better still, I'll stand on my chair, cry foul and demand to taste a pie better than this blueberry beauty. And if the so-called winner doesn't wow me, I'll wind up and throw this blueberry baby right at the judges table.

Oh yes, I will.

No comments: