Tuesday, July 5, 2011

364

That's how many days I have to learn how to make a pie.

Correction: That's how many days I have to learn how to make four pies, each worthy of winning the 2012 Fourth of July Pie Baking Contest in my neighborhood.

I've made pies before. I've bought refrigerated pie crusts and cans of various pie filling. I've followed directions on packages and have produced many picture-perfect pies.

But what they made up for in appearance, they lacked in flavor.

None made my husband's eyes roll back in bliss. None prompted anyone to ask for the recipe. None could ever be described as 'award winning.'

I'm tired of making sad-sack excuses for pie. I want my pies to be something special -- something people talk about.

I want to learn the proper art of pie making. And I want to enter next year's contest. And I want to win.

How, you ask?

Simple. I will become a student of pie.

In the next 364 days, I will research all things pie -- from crust composition, to flavor profiles to baking techniques. I will test recipe after recipe, eventually developing my own, unique pies.

I plan to grow more and more skilled with each pie I bake, eventually mastering one pie from each of the following categories: apple, berry, fruit and cream.

And next year, on July 4, 2012, I will enter one pie in each category, hoping to medal in each one.

Some might say it's a lofty goal. Many will doubt if I can do it. But if I take it pie by pie, bite by bite, I'm certain I can make a respectable showing.

And who knows?

Maybe, if I work hard enough in the next 364, I might sweep this sleepy Midwestern suburb's 2012 Fourth of July festivities. I could cause a veritable upset, taking first place in all four categories.

And so we begin. A woman with a dream. And a spatula.

This is my journey: From guppy to shark.

The Pie Shark.

No comments: