Thursday, July 7, 2011

Research

I'm typically not a clock watcher, but yesterday at work, I just couldn't help it -- I was dying to begin researching the art of pie.

When quitting time eventually came, I rushed home to change clothes and grab my library card. A quick look at the mail made me chuckle:


I once thought they were the end-all, be-all of pies, but as I've grown older, I've liked their pies less and less, instead favoring a truly kick ass homemade number.

I headed to my neighborhood library -- ironically the very same one that hosts the Fourth of July pie baking contest that started this little adventure -- the very one I plan to dominate next year.

The selection was a little limited.


There were lots of books on cake and ethnic cooking, but I found only three books about pie.

I took them all.

So far, I've learned that working with pie dough is less driven by science than it is by the pie chef's gut. Pie dough has essentially three elements: liquid, flour and fat. And while there is science involved -- the fat has to be very cold to create a flaky crust -- intuition is key to knowing if the dough will be light and tender or wind up rock hard.

Each book suggests that practice, practice, practice is the only way one can master the art of pie dough.

I've told a select few friends and family members about my intentions. Lucky for me, those who live close enough are willing/able to help me taste-test all this practice.

I'm eager to dive in and get started. I think I'll begin with a few simple tarts so I can get used to working with pie dough.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: